Saturday, December 03, 2011

200 posts and counting

This is my 200th post.  Well, not the 200th post I've started...but the 200th published post.
Quite a milestone, although 200 posts in 5 years isn't very many at all.
But looking over the past 5 years, what a journey it's been.  I've learned a lot about the corn free life.  And the gluten free life.  Not to mention dairy free, for my oldest.
I've come close to going breatharian.  But not by choice!
When I first started this blog, it seemed like I was living on rice.  And now...now, my diet's quite a bit more varied.
No, I can't have corn or any of it's derivatives.  But...There's a lot I can have.
There's the rice, of course.  And rice pasta.  But there's also quinoa flakes, and cream of buckwheat cereal.  There's applesauce and cheese.  There's peanut butter.  I can have eggs, too.  And chicken.  And tuna.
I can have spinach, peas, peppers and artichokes.  Sweet potatoes and parsnips.  I can have blueberries, apples, pears and raisins (as long as they're cooked or soaked first).  I can even have bananas (well, certain bananas...it's a corn thing.) 
And of course, I can have chocolate.

In the past 5 years, we've even developed a variety of recipes for sweets that work for us.  We have white cake, and chocolate cake.  We have cookies...chocolate chip, sugar and most recently quinoa raisin.  We even have muffins.
I suppose it doesn't sound like much.  But if you'd been on the journey with us all along, you'd know how miraculous it seems to us. 
And I've gained weight. It's a post in progress, but I'll make the announcement now.  I've been over a hundred pounds for nearly a full year.  That's a milestone, the first time since I've started this blog.  It's a real sign that the light at the end of the tunnel is close.  Still maybe blinding, and there are still some shaky spots ahead, but it's there.  

No comments: