Monday, February 09, 2009

The things we take for granted...

When you wake up with a fever, sore throat and chills; you really gain a new perspective on Tylenol.

I mean, when the kids have a headache, or stub a toe, or grow new molars, I have that magic bottle in the cupboard. It's always handy, and when I run out; more is only a quick hop in the car to any local drug store or grocer. But, the same isn't true for me.

A few years ago, I had an amusing time trying to track down safe acetaminophen (Tylenol). The problem was that I wanted something for a headache and menstrual cramps. Over the counter Tylenol and Tylenol knock-offs would do the job just fine. Except that every blessed one of them contains corn derivatives.

In other words; I can choose between the pain that has a (probably) limited duration, or abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea etc that goes on for a guaranteed 2 weeks to a month. Or; I can find a pharmacist to compound it. Compounding, as I soon found out, is becoming a lost art...lost to the red tape of legislature.

Thankfully...A few years ago, I did find a pharmacist willing to help me. And today, when I woke up with aches and pains; I thanked my lucky stars and reached for my trusty compounded acetaminophen.

I've come to take for granted that mild aches and pains can be virtually extinguished by a little capsule filled with a very common substance. And that there doesn't need to be a trade off. Or even a waiting period. I guess I've become spoiled.

Unfortunately, this morning I quickly realized that my medication had expired. Quite awhile ago, actually.

So now I'm patiently waiting for my doctor and the pharmacy to work out the logistics of compounding more acetaminophen. And next time...I'll be grateful that it's in the cupboard. Well worth a dollar a dose.

And next time, I'll keep an eye on that expiration date.

No comments: